Wednesday, January 24, 2007

MUSE Amuse

This week I have mostly been thinking about this time last week when I finally got to see a decent bit of live music when MUSE stopped by on their way down to Aus. For a 3 piece these boys make some noise, even in an outdoor park like Fort Canning. It was a sensational evening all round, the rain stopped raining, the breeze started breezing and the crowd started jumping. It was the most excited display of excitement I have seen from the locals, they were having a ball.
So was I, especially when I discovered there were waitresses at the beer tent, I couldn't imagine that working at the Big Day Out where the waitresses would most likely disappear into the mosh pit with the beer never to be seen again by customer or employer. Just when I thought it couldn't get any better I wandered into the crowd with Dappers and felt like a giant at a blue light disco, not a boofheaded big bloke in sight. Except for me, but I wasn't in my way so I didn't count.
But then it got even better as I was wondering what to do to for a beer and discovered I had subconciously landed 30 metres from the stage on a perfect latitude with a beer tent with no customers that was only 5 metres away. Where were all these magical beer tents coming from? Don't know, don't care they served their purpose of keeping my hops flavoured fluids up.
I might be sounding a little bit gushy about this whole MUSE thing, but they did break the live music drought for me in spectacular fashion. Even KP, who said that the next time I was going to some blokey grunge band to not ask her had changed her tune by the end of the night.
I
read a review in the Straits Times that said they were good but the light show was disappointing, was the writer blind? why did he even care about the lights, I would watch them by torchlight and be happy. It only served to enforce my theory that the Straits Times has been out sourced to a local high school and the majority of the writers are 14 and a half years old.
Anyway enough of the MUSE ramblings, with ears ringing we shuffled down the hill for a beer with the Japanese version of Reevey. Turns out he is very much like the Singapore Reevey and likes to hang out in BQs but wasn't drinking flaming Lamborghinis this time. The bar did well out of Reuters that night and drawing stumps at 1:00 on a Wednesday morning seemed like a really cool thing to do. It seemed less cool later on Wednesday morning, but I got through it and then went out for Elliott's birthday night, but a couple ofjumbo Hoegaardens and a bad sausage sent me home early. Quite a good thing I think.

No comments: