Friday, August 31, 2007

Death Wish

This week I have mostly been getting ready to get off the island and to hurriedly piece together the last couple of weeks here. Firstly we moved, and we did this around the National Day holiday. The National Day holiday is the day where traditionally everyone in Singapore goes over to Lex and Ell's for a BBQ, well at least everyone I know does.
It also means traditionally there is a twinge of a headache from the going out the night
before. True to tradition I did have a bit of a headache and I had to cook the BBQ having the won the right to do so by losing every game of pool at China One the night before. I did this intentionally so as to avoid any embarrassment usually associated with a Pom attempting to do a BBQ, at least that's my story. It also meant I copped lots of advice from all the blokes, particularly the Aussies there including snippets of information like Singapore use butane gas in their cylinders which burns hotter than LPG, you learn a lot of stuff around the hotplate.
The following week I suddenly found myself home alone in my new home as Reidy took the Phoebster on her first excursion to Vietnam. Conveniently Lex went as well leaving Elliott and I to our own devices, which led to me pointing a gun in a man's face. Friday started off quite well with a civilised dinner but quickly became a night of fairly heavy drinking that was capped off with strange interlude with a strange man. He is well known in these parts as being an interesting and occasionally slightly mad character, in fact he had been reported on this very blog previously. He was at the table setting off fire extinguishes at Christmas time. Anyway I said to this person, I bet you know some weird places here and he said as a matter of fact he did and scurried off to get a cab.
It is possibly not the wisest thing to do to put yourself in the hands of someone who is banned from flying on JAL, but doesn't know why. All he knows is it involved a 1litre and half of vodka and there was noone within a 6 people radius when he woke up. He was also arrested when he landed, but I digress. He took us to this house of Killeny Rd where apparently you get cheap beer. Maybe this is true but all we saw that night was an old man asleep on a camp stretcher in a gray pair of underpants. He was not going o be coaxed out by us making rattling the security cage so we eventually gave up and wandered off. We are still not quite sure if that really happened but it seems it did.
Saturday we went to Indonesia for a round of golf and you would be hard pressed to find 4 sorrier looking people than us that day. We were very sorry, even a roti prata and curry for breakfast could settle the sorryness we were feeling. Fortunately the golf was delayed by a wild storm that tore a large section of the club house roof off and blew the tents
that were set up for the local family day off the beach and into the clubhouse. After a 2 hour delay we finally got going and produced some surprisingly good scores, possibly due to the fact that noone could lift their head very well.
After a fairly unsurprisingly tame Saturday night we set off on Sunday to go clay pigeon shooting and this is where I pointed a gun in a man's face. This is not something I wanted to do, but was told to do by a chap who was wandering around giving advice on shooting things. He was trying to show me why my aim was out by having me aim the gun into his left eye. I found this a very odd request and more than just a little disturbing, I have it on good authority this would be an immediate expulsion from any normal gun club anywhere in the world except maybe the middle east. This same bloke then went wandering out to the live range to reset one of the traps. Very weird but a lot of fun, the clay shooting I mean not pointing a gun in a man's eye.
We are off home tomorrow, yipee and I thought if I hurriedly mentioned that Lou, Paul and Orietta have all come to visit us this year then they won't get mad for not being mentioned in this now somewhat sporadic blog, because technically I just did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No posts for the entire month of September...is fatherhood making you a slack blogger?...Reevey