Monday, August 06, 2007

Sea Change

This week I have mostly been looking forward to not being in a construction zone. It was a tough decision, we are going to give up having our very own construction site in our backyard, another 2 doors down, one across the road, one across the road up the hill and in 2 months time one next door. So we're off, out of the city and out to the East Coast area. Rated as one of the few good value areas left on the island, but that said still a 50% rent increase in this greedy little town.
It is hard to escape construction her
e right now, even stinking Tampines is caught up in the notion that it is a place on the move. A new development near the station is encouraging me and everyone else that happens to read the billboard to get caught up in the excitement of Pulsating Tampines. I have used a lot of words to describe Tampines, mostly words related to toilets and peoples' toilet parts, but never pulsating.
Tampines, pronounced Tampon-ease, does occasionally make my head pulsate, speaking of which my head was pulsating a couple of weeks ago after a busy Saturday night. Unfortunately it was a farewell to Anne that led to the hangover, on the upside it was is a particularly silly outing. The trip from the River to dinner was on a open top bus with booze provided by Alex, snacks by Pepsi Matt and an amiable bus driver that detoured slightly through Orchard Rd to stop outside our condo to pick up Reidy.
Not used to drinking on the bus, there was no toilet facilities resulting in a mad rush for the l
oos at Dempsey Rd. It also meant that toilets became unisex and I am still not sure what Anne meant when she assured me she saw nothing when she burst unexpectedly out of the cubicle while I was doing a wee. I am still not sure if it was an observation, or if she was just trying to relieve an embarrassing situation, maybe it was a combination of both.
But we got over it and had a tasty meal, followed by an excursion out west for a bit of karaoke. I have always said if you are going to sing karaoke then sing it like you mean it and we belted out some classics. Without doubt the highlight of the vodka and tequila inspired evening of vocal disharmony was Anne's rendition of Wuthering Heights. I thought Kate Bush had wandered into the room there for a moment, but then I finished my shot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who was embarrased? Not me, I got the stall with the closing door. I'm all for liberating the loos, just try standing outside a woman's bathroom on a friday or saturday night and see how long it takes to get in. Miss you all terribly! X X Anne