Saturday, September 10, 2005

Deadly Rivets

This week I have mostly been healthier than last week, except for today where I wasn’t. I think I might have an allergy to wine, the day after drinking it I wake up with a headache and a dry mouth and apparently it makes me smell. It isn’t helped by the fact I am drinking with a semi pro wine consumer that is sadly missing her sidekick in Lou. I don’t mind too much except Reidy insists I dress up as a girl, smoke and talk long and hard about nothing. It’s the smoking I don’t like.
Anyway another mild wine allergic reaction this morning saw me yet again faced with a breakfast dilemma out at Tampines Junction. I thought I might have finally got this sorted the other day when I found a place that did toasted sandwiches. Apparently they also make coffee. It turns out the sandwich had slivers of the devil’s dick or cucumber all through it. As for the coffee well I didn’t keep an eye on that process but I think they ducked out the back and scooped up a cupful of the puddle I had narrowly avoided stepping in and then put some sugar in it. So I go in there today and thought maybe that just didn’t understand me last time so asked for a cappuccino and bugger me if they didn’t try to make the froth with a can of whipped cream. The sandwich order didn’t go splendidly either as I asked for “A toasted sandwich, but this time could you hold the dick.” Obviously not everyone refers to cucumber as a dick and obviously I didn’t really say that, but I think the wine allergy also makes me think silly things. End result, a cup of dirty water with a blob of whipped cream and cucumber laced toasted sandwich; very unsatisfactory.
No unusual posters to report this week, although I did flash past a large sign in a cab which was encouraging everyone to feel the vibrations. Not sure what vibrations they were exactly but it could have been a reference to my heroic wind. In the same cab I was a little disturbed to hear an announcement on the radio telling people they had until the end of the month to replace the aluminum rivets in their windows frames or be liable to a $5000 fine and or 6 months in prison. Apparently the window casings have been falling out and landing on people below. What the bloody hell is that about, it makes you wonder what they do to you if you commit a serious crime. Actually they hang you; Disneyland with the death penalty was one description of Singapore I heard during the week. They hang around 400 people a year here apparently. That’s 1.0958904109589041095890410958904 a day, which is quite a lot really.
However I am not sure how the police find the time to arrest people for doing bad stuff here when they have to deal with these serious issues like when “someone had called "999" to complain about the animal cut-outs displayed on July 28 outside the Buangkok MRT station, the police had to determine whether any offence had been committed under the Public Entertainments and Meetings Act.” Funny, read all about it here: http://www.todayonline.com/articles/71164.asp
We have to go and buy a wine fridge now, so over and out.

No comments: