Sunday, October 02, 2005

Courteous Safety


This week I have mostly been a bachelor because Reidy went back home, I only checked my voice mail the other day, but there was a desperate plea for me to bring her home. This was only after one night, so I don't know what she's doing to people but it is having an effect.
Surprisingly I have been pretty much hangover free this week at work and have no food stories, other than to report we were nearly thrown out of a food court for bringing in beer one evening. Apparently it was Muslim food court and someone complained. So we went downstairs to the Chinese food court where they throw you out for not drinking.
My suspicions around people using the toilet bowl as a hand basin have been confirmed this week. I didn’t really know who to turn to, but an Englishman who has done some time in the region said it would have been because they couldn’t get to the squat toilet and use the hose thingy on the side. His other advice was to avoid shaking hands with people. Wise words matey.
I was intrigued to discover there was going to be a Courteous and Safety road show on Saturday at my local Train station. Well that looked too good to pass up, I would love to be able to combine courteousness with safetynesness.
The courteousness bit I could understand as getting on the trains is a bit of a free for all despite the instructions on the platform clearly showing the recommended traffic flow for people getting on an off. But the safety bit I think would have been pretty brief, the most unsafe thing you can do is sleep standing up which the average Singaporean seems to be able to do and quite often without holding on to anything. You can’t fall on to the tracks or push someone on to them as a result of some spirited high jinx gone wrong. Firstly because there are doors on the platform timed to open only when the train has safely stopped, and secondly because there are no spirited high jinx allowed anywhere in Singapore.
But fortunately I got a call to go bike riding instead, so missed the road show, but there is one at a another station today which sounds far more interesting. It also includes a Safety and Courteous race where you have to complete various challenges in a safe and courteous manner and finish with a sprint to the finish line. I am so there. Or maybe I will go to the Emergency Preparedness Road show on at the end of Scotts Rd near us. They were just getting going when I saw it yesterday and don’t actually know what it’s about but did seem to involve a recruitment drive for prison guards.
So much to choose from…….